About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Change Is Not Easy, But It's Worth It (..I am learning)

I'm taking time off work at the museums through May and June to focus on competition goals. Much of this time will be unpaid leave. (deep breath)

I have just met the national time standard for the elite women's sprint programme and my intent is to continue building to become more competitive at the international level. Races in Trexlertown, PA taking place in the second half of June will make for good testing ground.

I'm not sure how I will financially make it through, but if I don't try I'll never know and I'll always wonder. Turning 37 years old on May 14th, I'm continually aware of the extra challenge that being an older athlete poses, especially starting from the bottom rung of the ladder, with no sport background and no family of privilege or programmes for backing.

I also realize that I do this because it isn't easy.

There are tough times and rewarding times. Every time I consider giving up I learn more patience and breakthroughs happen giving an inkling of hope. I do believe that perseverance is a big ingredient in success in any endeavor.

Working full time and training in all the spare moments can make for a very intense, focused and solitary life...

Ontario Cup #1. Photo: Ben Lyon

..but when you keep your heart open, there are always people not too far away who remind you of the wonder of life and the things it is made of..

Provincial Champs with friend Chris Balogh

...people who root for you, challenge you and remind you that there are no limits..

Thankful for backing of coaches Erin Hartwell, Rob Good, Dave Jack.

..and those who remind to have eternal hope and faith in yourself and the world.

Para cycling try out with Ontario Cycling Assoc. Tandem bike fun!
While we are all here to learn and grow, our time is limited.

Thanks for the cheers this week from students visiting during testing.

So, have no fear, work hard, have fun and get on with it!