About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Saturday, 5 April 2014

Updates Are Good: CG Trials Round One

It's been an epic week.. an epic month..year, so far! Heartfelt thanks to you for the essential part that you've had in the journey to trials. It is only one step among many more to come in breaking into work competition. Together we're taking a leap of faith. At risk of leaving anyone out, because you are all essential, I must recognize major supporters: Kallisto Sportswear, Forest City Velodrome, La Bicicletta, My Coaches & Training Partners, Swift Greens, Shannon Passero, Gary Black, My Family & Loved Ones, The Armstrong's, The Bannerman's, City of Niagara Falls Museums, Energy Fitness Studio.

This week has been spent practicing flying 200m and standing 500m efforts at the world class 250m LA Velodrome, resting in my hotel room and making sure I'm eating right and drinking lots of water. That's pretty much it! Believe it or not resting is the hardest part, especially in beautiful LA!

The first day was a 23hr whirlwind of travel, bike building, riding, groceries and getting settled in. Getting all the work done in one go means freedom to be focused for the rest of the week. Afterward it took a good 2-3 days for my body to adjust from the travel and activity. Now I'm feeling good and ready :)

This week I have been really lucky to have some familiar faces around as Juniors from across Canada are here to try out this weekend for worlds. Also my track time is scheduled with part of the Canadian Para Cycling team prepping for worlds next week. To top it off Canadian Olympian Joe and Sport Psych Lisa are here from back home as well as another Canadian sprint star Hugo, whom I was lucky to get a good practice lead in from (as in, spin my legs right off). 

The daily schedule has been: wake at 7am, ride to track for 12 noon (warm up, a few short, hard efforts, cool down), eat my pb/j and ride back to hotel about 3:00, then keep my legs up and be restful til 10:30 bedtime. It feels great to be in the groove of the training schedule and to be here with only what I need to do my task. Focus is good.

Send good vibes for the weekend: 200m trial on Saturday, 500m trial on Sunday!

What better to way to sum up the trip so far than a photo montage :)