About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Monday, 7 October 2013

Record Breaking Weekend at Ontario Provincial Championships

Ontario Track Provincials took place September 28-29 with over 50 athletes competing and the suport of many volunteers and fans. The Forest City Velodrome community in London, Ontario is close knit and includes members from all over Ontario and the United States. It really is something special to be part of. Athletes broke 10 records over the course of the weekend!

Coming off Nationals and the Bromont Challenge I felt great going into Provincials. My only concern (irrational fear) was going to fast on the short, steep track and losing control! Which I got over quickly by setting a new record in the first event, the 500 metre time trial. From there, all went great. Athletes showed the utmost sportsmanship and pushed eachother to their limits and beyond. I am very appreciative be able to enjoy a small but dedicated Elite Women's field with the addition of strong and experienced Masters Men to compete complete the roster in mass start races. A highlight of the weekend was the cool, calm focus that encompassed the end of the infield where I made my home with some of the toughest competitors. Rob Good imbues good naturedness into all who set foot in FCV. I certainly hope this is something that carries over to Milton.

 


Before competition started, my coach/partner David Jack sent me the track records. This provided a tangible, measureable goal and a tool to keep focused throughout the weekend. It is also useful in making competition less personal as the elite women's field is small and close and my greatest competition is always a friend and/or team mate. It irks me that often ultra-competitiveness among top female athletes is encouraged. How counterproductive is that to put energy into anything apart from sportsmanship, when our mutual goal is to get stronger. Besides, an athlete's performance changes day to day. Judging your performance against someone on an off day or who has a lull in their training schedule would be misleading. The best of the best is what we all want to be. A standing record, that is a best time ever, and it begs to be broken! I try to promote a mutual ethic that is to work together to do whatever we need to do to be our strongest.

From Track Provincials I came away as Ontario Sprint Champion as well as Champion of the 500 Metre Time Trial, setting a new provincial record! Borrowed double disc wheels felt amazing - super fast. Whoosh, woosh, woosh! Full results for the weekend are as follows:
Sprint - 1st
500 TT - 1st
Points Race - 2nd
Individual Pursuit - 1st
20 Lap Pursuit - 2nd
Scratch - 3rd

Hey, did I mention, I was Tron? Yup. Team kit didn't include a skinsuit, but I was permited to use an unmarked skinsuit for competition and team shorts/jersey for podium. Dave was able to find a Tron skinsuit! I like the movie and love the glowy suits and speedy bikes (Little known fact: I do my indoor training with Tron). Gotta have fun where you can!

This year's competition was a little bittersweet as I imagine how things will change with the completion next year of a new track for the upcoming Pan Am Games an hour away in Milton, ON. Built to international standards, the Milton track will be the new centre for Canada's national team and will draw future international competition events. This will I'm sure begin a migration of trackies away from London.