About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Spring Training in North Carolina

Frequent late winter conversation for competitive cyclists:
Joe Rider: Omg, I can't wait for spring camp at Rockybottom, SC!!
Me: Oh yeah.. when's that?
Joe Rider: Well..aren't you going?
Me: Never been.
Joe Rider: What do you mean?
Me: I'm too old. I'm turning 35 this year.
Joe Rider: Well that shouldn't matter, you win stuff.
Me: It does, so make the most of it while you have the chance.
Joe Rider: Oh..

..awkward silence..

Getting into the sport at the age of 30 and doing relatively well pretty quickly, I was (and still am) a bit surprised at how few opportunities there were for high performance development beyond the age of 23. I also completely understand that sport funding is low and young people deserve every chance to pursue excellence in their prime. But, this puzzle led me to the conclusion that regardless of opportunity I have my own personal goals that I'm responsible for achieving and the only way to move forward is.. to keep moving forward, and not get caught up on things that I can't change. All of this to say, I found my own way to get in some early season mileage outdoors and it has been the best of all.

After having just enough time to rest up from track camp, Dave and I travelled to Asheville, North Carolina for a week of training overload. We found the perfect place to stay ten minutes from the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. All of the basics that we needed fit in this photo scavenger hunt below: Left to right - bananas, fully stocked fridge, eLoad, coffee, all available riding kit, bikes, flat repair, chamois cream, helmets, glasses, gloves, shoes. The last key components are to the left beyond the camera shot - a big screen tv and bed, because rest is as important as the work we put into training! This would turn out to be the week we discovered Duck Commander, and a couple of seasons provided the best rest & recovery we could ask for.

 
Why go south just to ride bikes?
 
Because this...
 
...trumps this...
 
 
And why North Carolina? Because it has everything that South Carolina has and isn't as far to drive. Asheville also has a cool artsy vibe, some breweries, parks and museums, not that we had much time for any of that, but it's reason enough for me!
 
 
It was a beautiful trip and we had tonnes of fun tearing each others legs off everyday!
 
Meanwhile back at the museum, Family Day happened. It was exciting to learn that my first big event at the newly renovated Niagara Falls History Museum was also it's first big hit! Over 700 people attended War of 1812 themed activities throughout the museum and Lundy's Lane battlefield!