About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

OMG this TRACK is BEAUTIFUL!

Hey, I have something to post about! No, I didn't make a million in my attempt to fundraise for 2013 racing ..see last post (still in need of support).

I'm at my first national team camp for track in Los Angeles! Excited? Yes: first national team project, first time on an olympic calibre track, first time on the west coast, first time in a warm climate. Palm trees look ridiculous. I love it!

The common thread among blog posts is usually that guilt drives the post, and this one is no different. I don't apologize for infrequent blogging, but I do feel a little something for going into 'blackout mode' after tweeting that I had problems with my flight.

When our flight was cancelled due to (mom stop reading here) compications of snow and a fire in the plane's engine, Head Coach Rob became our flight planner - exclaiming, "This is an adventure!"


The whole rebooking operation became big enough that Adrian's bike box had to be commandeered. By the end of the session athletes & staff (as well as a bystander) were all booked on flights to arrive the same day - save Adrian's wheels in photo - location still unknown.
 
We all made it to LA safe and sound, although we felt the effects of running lengths of the airport with 100+lbs of bikes & gear well through the next day. Blah.

Short run down of camp so far: The team has progressed in leaps and bounds. Our track competition skills have greatly improved all-round, especially in team pursuit, which is why we're here. We are learning to be consistant, comfortable with close wheels, and to make a smooth transfer an automatic action.

Check out Rob Good's report on the first two days at Pedal.

This is an awesome, fun group of staff and athletes - yay Canada! The track feels like home - thank you LA! I'm so grateful to have this chance to train on 'the big track', as well as finish the day off with adventures in road riding all over the city. Our time here has been as amazing as it was chaotic on that first day of travel.

I'll tell you more when I come out of 'blackout mode', which you'll find happens everytime I cross the border and become afraid of cell phone costs.

...We went to an LA Galaxy game! Another first - never been to a soccer game before. Love it too and will post pictures!