About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Epic Blog Post Series - #1 Racing & Training


This is part of a series of posts in a long overdue blog update..

I lead spin classes at Energy Fitness Studio. It's fun! We have bikes with POWER!, so I can continue to use my watts as a training tool and teach others how to utilize it. It feels good to workout with a great bunch of people and teach & inspire through what I've learned during my journey of weight loss, fitness gain and progression into competitive cycling. We get strong together, share goals and achievements and learn a tonne from each other. As the universe works, always on the days that I'm struggling with something a client will ask for guidance along the same line (insert some catchy ironic hashmark here). I take this as a reminder that I know what I'm doing, as well as to take my own advice and to "walk the walk". Spin class is a good fit and also pushes me to get up early (5am early) and squeeze in that extra training session before work. The extra cash is extremely useful too! (insert trendy hashmark here, #icantbelieveigetpaidforthis)


My Energy Fitness Studio Class Room - aka The Pain Cave

To complete the volume of training that I need in order to compete at the level I want means I lot of solo riding. A short time ago I was not equipped with the tools, knowledge or confidence to do this! What happens if I get a flat, have an accident, get stuck in a storm, bonk, get lost?! Taught by friends and experience, a couple of years have passed and I'm now quite confident venturing the many km's that make long endurance building rides, exploring the grid of roads webbing Niagara between the two lakes and river. Once in awhile it is a treat to enjoy the company of my boyfriend and extra motivating to challenge each other in sprints, hill climbs and endurance intervals along our own private Paris - Roubaix race course.

To add more variety and challenge: Stevens p/b The Cyclery team camps take place in the spring and St. Catharines Cycling Club training rides are scheduled through the year as well as weekly time trials, weekly Forest City Velodrome sessions happen through winter. Not to mention other diversions... cyclocross, mountain biking, and man do I crave the Joyride 150 pump tracks and foam pits. It's hard to stay focused on one thing, can you tell? But I appreciate the merit of doing one thing really well in comparison to many things kinda well. There are many years ahead to fit all the fun stuff in, only a few to reach my physical peak in. I'm going to be one rockin' granny when I get to my downhill riding phase.


Last year my goals were focused mainly on getting the hang of training and achievement in the form of winning and podiums. Though extremely proud of winning the Ontario Cup Road Series and making podium in the Provincial Championship Road Race with the support of family and friends I am now very interested in branching out to challenge myself by taking more risks and doing things differently, out of my comfort zone. I'm sure someone else has said it better but my thought is that racing to win can often mean playing it safe and taking less risks. How do you learn or get stronger if you don't go outside of your norm? So I'm taking chances and thinking about the trip rather than the destination. I still want to win, I just want to get more out of the trip!