About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Monday, 7 May 2012

Inside the Bubble

The Place I Call Home


I live in the Niagara Peninsula nestled between two of North America's Great Lakes: Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, and bordered on the east by the Niagara River and USA. Along the length of the peninsula runs a ridge of land a few hundred meters high called the Niagara Escarpment.

Sara's Little World


All of these features and the southern proximity of Niagara make for a great little microclimate that lends itself to mild weather and a beautiful, lush greenbelt perfect for tender fruit farming. A history of glacial movement and ancient lake formations carved out some of the most diverse landscape for a close little area including flats, climbs and rollers (of course I have to use cycling terms, are you kidding) perfect for fun, challenging training rides. Being in close proximity to waterways that were early arteries for travel and continue to be, Niagara was an established trade area and early refuge during an epic era of border conflict. Niagara's history is as rich as it's soil. All of the things I love, right outside my doorstep!

This is where I live, work, and ride. Here is one of my favourite spots to visit, just on the edge of Short Hills. I'll post again when it's all in bloom!