About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Monday, 7 May 2012

..and then Reality hit

..with a capital R and all the abruptness of an asphalt Road.

Crashes DO happen. It sucks. I had my first one on the road during a race a couple of weeks ago and it taught me very effectively why we take the protective measures we do when riding a bike. I'd really like to forget it happened, but before I move on I want you to know why it is important in any sport to always wear proper equipment.

Full fingered gloves can save you some digits if this happens.


A helmet worn properly will save your life and prevent permanent brain injury.

A base layer and clothing that covers all the parts of your body that you cherish will spare much of the burn and infection of road rash. I didn't save a picture of my clothing cause its resemblance to swiss cheese made me a little queasy.

Please do..


Plan for things that are beyond your control and don't assume that you are safe because you're a responsible rider. This happened in a race with riders weighing just over 100lbs travelling maybe 30-40km/hr. On the road there are people travelling in vehicles much heavier and much faster who don't know how to react to cyclists.

Remember..


Be smart about your sport. No point being fit if you're not there to enjoy it.