About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Saturday, 31 March 2012

Fishbowl Dreaming

Typicallly winter is a dark, cold, sleepy, dormant time. This year, not so much!

I'm not a frequent blogger, but with my first race of the season coming within the next week I feel it's time for a recap. Love the feeling of ending one chapter in life to start a fresh new one.

After a good rest in the fall, training started full throttle. With one trip to the Forest City Velodrome in London, Ontario, I was hooked! I have a need for speed and adrenaline that track riding definitely fullfills. "Thrill" doesn't come into play in the regular regimen of winter training on a bike, trapped in a stationary trainer.. oh, the dread as nearly half a year of indoor riding looms. Co-workers find it amusing as I leave work each evening to, "Go nowhere fast". It is usually the visioning of next season's races that gets one through.. as far as I can tell. This January marked my first full year of coach led training, the previous two winters I spent as a gym rat and spin class addict! I'm so appreciative to have been able to continue racing straight through winter.


Photos by Bob Steer


Aha moment. Figuring out the track sprint.

Fishbowl dreaming... tires clinging to the wall, minimum speed just over 30km, being pushed firmly into the saddle as I carve through corners, intense sprinting efforts, split second timing and strategy - it is all more than enough to keep me pumped for the entire 1hr 45min drive to London!

With mentoring from a hugely supportive track community led by Rob Good and coaching by, well, my coach and loving partner David Jack as well as fellow St. Catharines Cycling Club friends Jeff Poulsen, Chris Singleton, Candice Vermeulen (and so many more), I'm feeling well prepared to incorporate track events into my race agenda and fulfill new and challenging goals in 2012!