About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Tuesday, 11 October 2011

October Haunts


Yay for sunshine! Enjoyed a great solo ride around wine country last week...a farewell ride with my awesome team bike (bye bye carbon). Couldn't help reflecting on the season. Cycling opened up the world to me. I travelled more this year than I ever have.. might not sound like a lot, Ontario and a few US states, but it's been an incredible experience. Just enough to make me crave more. Sort of how I feel about competition too. I worked hard and performed well this year, it gave me a peek at what it means to go further in this sport and in the scope of my physical ability. Now I know what the future can hold and I have to go for it! Why wouldn't I!? I know I can do so much more.

Fall riding is the best. I'm a lover of cool weather. Passing through patches of toasty sun and frigid shade, the aromas of wet leaves, mounds of bursting ripe grapes, colours of ragged late summer green turning to light yellows and browns of fall. Niagara is THE place to be! Pockets old farm fields packed with purple & white asters and yellow golden rod. Come on Mother Nature, bring on the frost and brilliant Canadian red maples!

I present to you a slideshow of my favourite things in the Village of Queenston, Ontario.. before my camera died: Major General Sir Isaac Brock's monument (A great man. I like to think we're related - from Guernsey), the house where I imagine an intriguing old witch lives (I'd enjoy a chat over a cup of hot Earl Grey. Sure I could learn a lot. The porch sun looks inviting.), vista across the Niagara River (How many hours have I spent watching the gulls and the swirling, hypnotizing current here?), stone works & gardens (I have a fascination with big ancient stones - like they are living beings that carry the knowledge of the ages!), neat stuff! See if you can find the little Victorian family portraits tucked around the witch's house windows and fence :)



On the loop back home I stopped at Zoom Leisure Bike Tours and Rentals for a chat with Steve before he closed shop. After a day of tripping around the Niagara-on-the-Lake countryside I can totally see why rentals are up. I hope to break in to the bike tour guiding biz soon. Would be great fun to make my quirky virtual tours real!