About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Monday, 15 August 2011

SERIES WIN - YAAHOOO!!!

I am SO VERY HAPPY to share with you that the Ontario Cup Road Race Series concluded yesterday... it's OCA posted and official... 1st place in the Elite Women's category!! I am absolutely ELATED!!

Winning the road series at the top level of competition was a goal that I set in the winter. The idea started last year after trying a couple of Elite O Cup road races toward the end of the season after winning Canadian Master's Road Nationals. What has kept me engaged and active since losing that 75lbs three years ago is the thrill of bounding ahead into the scary, challenging unknown - setting big new goals.


Niagara Classic Road Race 2011 - Presented by St. Catharines Cycling Club
Being part of the development squad for Women's Pro Cycling Team Juvederm-Specialized-Mazda this year has been incredible. Leigh Hobson - best team mate ever! The directors and entire support team of JSM are a class act. It's so visible through the passion, tenacity, a joy racers bring to competition. Simple positivity is the stuff that feeds the sport and grows a healthy, strong women's field. It's an attitude I truly believe is important to foster. Our sponsors believe in it too - they've made amazing things happen for Canadian women's cycling!

I must give huge thanks to those who helped me to complete the series. Thank you St. Catharines Cycling Club, ShortHills Cycling Club and all of my cycling buddies who not only train with me and help outfit me for racing but also counsel me and listen to my concerned rambles. All of the rockin' bike chicks who jowyco, thanks for a fun race season! Staff at the City of Niagara Falls Museums, you've been incredibly accomodating and understanding of my strange schedule and eating habits, thank you. Energy Fitness Studio in St. Catharines, Liberty Bicycles, the Ontario Cycling Association I am grateful for your support. My parents, Doug and Una, thank you hanging with me at races, taking pics and not getting too freaked out at some of the things I do. The year's racing is not over yet but thank you all for everything so far.

My first full year of road racing and elite level competition has been an immense journey. This life continues to blow me away. Over the past three years my entire world has changed (..maybe not that little tendancy to be overdramatic). Everything is new, all of the time! It feels great to continue to move forward with support from the most loving, positive and intuitive people. Friends and family always seem to be one step ahead, knowing what concern or excitement I present next. It's uncanny. I am so thankful for everyone's genuine helpfulness.

Best for last... David, you are incredible. I am so happy to have shared this all with you. You fill my heart with joy that not even cycling can provide. I'm looking forward to setting many more lofty goals together. I love you very much.