About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Monday, 18 April 2011

Victory at Ontario Cup #1 - Calabogie!!


"What happened?" was, I think, the first thing that came out of my mouth at the race finish of Calabogie Road Classic on Sunday, April 17th. Searching for a familiar face in the crowd 500km + from home, there weren't many. Local Juniors from Planet Energy p/b SpiderTech were still contemplating their race and hadn't caught the women's finish. Finally was nabbed by someone asking for my name as 1st place holder. Confirmation! Relief!





I will forever remember Calabogie for the warm welcome into my first full year of Elite competition by a great bunch of strong Ontario women cyclists, my first podium at that level and the little pleasure in knowing that this time a year ago I had yet to try my first road race. Thank you everyone who has supported and enabled me to get here.



Photobucket
View on the long road home. Brrrrr!
 
Thanks to sponsors DeFeet, Hincapie and Headsweats for keeping me warm when I needed it and cool when it was called for. Weather was CRAZY at this race - sun, wind, rain, snow, we had it all. Team kit fit and performed superbly!