About Sara

Sara Byers is a Elite Canadian Provincial and National Champion in road and track cycling. Based in Niagara and racing with
Kallisto-FCV p/b Toyo Tires (Forest City Velodrome) and Canada's National Sprint Team, upcoming goals include
2015 Pan Am Championships, Track World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympics.

Friday, 18 March 2011

I got my fist, I got my plan, I got survivalism!

Lyrics from the song Survivalism by my fav band Nine Inch Nails… adrenaline rushing classic! This is the tune stuck in my head as I pack bike and bags in my car, with training plan in hand and keen focus on the upcoming week’s (and season’s) goals. Off to South Carolina - spring training mecca!

I’ll be among a group of close to twenty friends of different backgrounds and cycling interests, all seeking our own version of biking vacation or training camp. My goals and inability to sit still for any length of time dovetail perfectly for what I call a “working vacation”. Ok, I can’t hold my excitement any longer: WHATEVER THIS IS, IT IS PERFECTION!! Eat, sleep, ride, eat, sleep, ride, bike, bike, bike, ride, ride, ride!!!

Looking forward to plowing ahead on a specific programme developed for me by coach David Jack, and I eagerly anticipate seeing the fruits of my winter labour materialize in a real world setting - on the road!

In 2010, my first year of competition, achievements and progression were overshadowed with much stress and frustration at scrounging to find learning opportunities and being self directed in my training. I overcame enough of the learning curve to identify that proper coaching was needed to move forward in this journey and further develop goals.

Since teaming up with a coach I feel as if the flood gates have opened and I’m able to tap into unlimited potential. David Jack has worked with me to abolished major stressors, set goals and provided the tools and skills to enable me to reach them. As a racer it can be difficult to reach your full potential on your own. But having been under David’s guidance for only a couple of months, I feel that I’ve grown in leaps and bounds.

Mentorship has given a better understanding of all aspects of the sport and increased my confidence and proficiency (..in sport and life. The synergistic affect is a beautiful thing!).

The quality of physical training has improved by being focused and balanced. Most obviously, my tendency to over-do is curbed so that I no longer burn out and negate all of my hard work.

Although I don’t always immediately understand the intent of “assignments”, I trust in the process and continue to BRING IT! Seeing and feeling results so quickly gives me such a feeling of pride and satisfaction.

I look forward to approaching this “working vacation” with renewed vision and ability. Feeling content with where I am at this moment, I’m eager to work hard as well as relax with friends who mean so much to me.